In Balanced Literacy...
"...all aspects of reading, writing, speaking, and listening receive appropriate emphasis." (Routman, 2000)
- Provides students daily opportunities to engage in reading, writing, speaking, and listening
- Includes meaningful literacy activities
- Explicitly demonstrates reading, writing, and thinking processes
- Maintains safe, well-organized, collaborative classrooms
- Views teachers as informed decision-makers
- Guides and supports students in becoming lifelong learners